Travel back in time …
The Lippincott-Faulkinburg House welcomes guests into its quaint Victorian parlor, visit the Captain’s Room with Barnegat’s seafaring history, and the nursery’s display will delight the child in everyone. The Edwards House is more primitive and visitors will enjoy guessing what the many kitchen tools are. Visit the Butcher Shop with its special rotating display room and your visit to a time gone by will be complete.
Barnegat’s Own Heritage Village
Located on East Bay Ave in historic Barnegat, New Jersey, Heritage Village features an enclave of four major buildings and three smaller structures – the Lippincott-Faulkenburg House, the Barber Shop, the Edwards House, the Butcher Shop, a corn crib, a motel cabin, and a three-hole necessary. Heritage Village is open from 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM on The first Sunday of each month. Please read more about each below.
Donated by Mr. and Mrs. Frederick A. Gerkin, this was the first building moved to the site on September 5, 1968. The house has been traced by deed to 1866 when it was deeded by Garrett and Elizabeth Lippincott to James T. Mills. In 1872, Mr. Mills sold the house to Mr. Rulon, who in turn, sold it to Captain Edwin Faulkinburg in 1887.
Although the house is dated by deeds to 1866, it is thought to be of 1700’s origin because of its construction. All the nails used in the building are hand made and structural members are squared-off tree trunks.
It took Society members three years to restore the house and stock it with exhibits. It was officially opened in 1971. Extensive restorations began in October, 2001, by master builder and restorationist, Ira B. Matthews, and his son, Ira B. Matthews, III. Following a special rededication ceremony in November, 2004, the Lippincott House was reopened.
The Edwards House
In the spring of 1976 Ms. Lillian Cranmer donated this two-story structure. It has been traced to 1813 and is believed to have been built much earlier by a Mr. James Edwards. Mr. Edwards was a soldier in the Revolutionary War and believed to be a friend and contemporary of George Washington.
This house was restored by Society members. In 1980 electricity and a heating system were installed and the Society’s library, consisting of historical records, books and genealogical information were moved into the building during the autumn of 1980.
In the spring of 2005 restoration was again begun on the house. New cedar shingles and siding have been installed – all in keeping with the original construction of the house.
The Butcher Shop
In January 1979, a small house which served as a barber shop and later as a butcher shop was donated by Ms. Gladys Halsey. The structure was built with lumber that had been salvaged from the lightkeepers’ house at Barnegat Light. William Ambrose Cox won a salvage contract for the building shortly after it was destroyed by a storm in 1920. He took men and horse-drawn wagons to Long Beach Island to haul the lumber back to Barnegat where it was sold to build the butcher shop. A large collection of tools and marine artifacts reflecting Barnegat’s status as a ship building center was housed in butcher shop.
In 1996 the shop was severely damaged by arson. Thanks to Society members who devoted many long hours of hard work, the “turn-of-the-century” butcher shop was reopened in the spring of 1999.
The Barber Shop
The barber shop was built circa 1800 and was originally a real estate office run by Henry Gulick. About 1900 George Hopper purchased the building and opened a barber shop near the southwest corner of South Main Street and East Bay Avenue.
The barber shop was donated by Mrs. Harry Allen and moved to the village site in 1972, but did not open until restorations were completed in 1976.
A collection of men’s hats, shaving mugs, Civil War medical instruments and many other items are on display in the shop.